Terms & conditions of use
FOR ALL MEDICAL EMERGENCIES, YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT USE THIS TOOL TO COMMUNICATE MEDICAL EMERGENCIES.
“Medli” is a software service developed by Medli Health Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Brain Tumour Charity.
“Medli app” is a type of secure application software designed to run on a mobile device, such as a smartphone.
“Data Access Board” refers to a group established by Medli Health Limited to review applications for access to data from the Medli database that has been obtained from sources such as NHS Digital and from Medli users. The Board is responsible for the framework for assessing applications for data extracts and the criteria for accepting, accepting with conditions or rejecting requests.
“GMC” is the General Medical Council.
“GMCSI” is the GMC Services International Limited.
“Healthcare Professional” means a member of the Individual’s healthcare team, authorised by the Individual, who may access portions of the Individual’s record through the Medli app, as well as use any additional functions available to healthcare professionals. Examples of healthcare professionals include clinical nurse specialists, oncologists and general practitioners.
“Individual” means the Medli account holder.
“Invitee” means a user who is invited by an Individual to access their Medli account.
“LRMP Product” means the list of registered medical practitioners kept by the GMC pursuant to the Medical Act 1983 (“LRMP”).
“Maintenance” refers to the modification of the Medli app to correct faults or to improve performance or other attributes.
“Research” refers to an activity undertaken by clinical, academic or commercial scientists at universities or industry partners, in the UK or globally. As part of their job they investigate different aspects of disease to try and understand how they work and how they can be controlled or cured.
- The Medli app is designed to be the interface through which the Individual may enter certain confidential healthcare information about a patient’s treatment and care, medication, appointments and quality of life. They also provide the user with a number of Insights, Tools and Challenges.
- The Individual is responsible for keeping their Medli account secure. This includes the email address account used to log into Medli. Medli Health Limited shall not be liable for any damages that result from the Individual’s failure to keep their Medli account secure.
- It is the Individual’s responsibility to advise Medli Health Limited if it appears that the Individual’s account has been compromised in any way.
- It is the Individual’s responsibility to advise Medli Health Limited if a device on which the Individual has previously logged into Medli has been lost or stolen.
- Access to Medli will be activated once the Individual creates an account.
- It is the Individual’s responsibility to keep the Individual’s email address up-to-date in the Medli app in order to ensure that the Individual receives notification of newly released information and general notices relating to Medli in a timely manner. Medli Health Limited is not responsible for any damage resulting from the Individual’s failure to keep up-to-date Individual’s email address and account information.
- If the Individual has invited an Invitee to have access to the Individual’s account, the Invitee will be notified when the Individual requests in the Medli app that an invitation be sent to the Invitee.
- If an Individual has invited an Invitee to have access to the Individual’s account, be aware that delays can occur in the Invitee’s acceptance of the invitation including, but not limited to frequency at which the Invitee is able to check or respond to their emails or technology occurrences outside of Medli Health Limited’s control.
- It is possible that an Invitee could decide not to accept an invitation from an Individual. It is not Medli Health Limited’s responsibility to remind the Invitee that they have not accepted an invitation from an Individual.
- It is the Individual’s responsibility to control who they invite to have access to their account, what type of access they have, for what duration, and to which sections of the account.
- Users of the Medli app should not use it to convey urgent medical matters to a healthcare team. For all urgent medical matters, the relevant healthcare team should be contacted directly and as soon as possible. Never send any messages to Medli Health Limited requiring urgent attention from a healthcare team. Although a healthcare professional may have been given access to an Individual’s account it is highly unlikely that they will be actively monitoring the account.
- The content within the Medli app is provided for educational, research, and reference purposes only. It has been created as an aid to patients to manage their care from home, and is not designed to replace or be a substitute for real life medical care or the advice of a qualified healthcare professional and should not be used for these purposes. Do not disregard or avoid professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of materials made available through the Medli app.
- The data recorded in the Medli app by its users should not be used by healthcare professionals as the sole source of information to make decisions or adjustments relating to the Individual’s treatment and care.
- All the Individual’s data stored in Medli will be treated with utmost confidence by Medli Health Limited.
- The Individual agrees that Medli is a service offered as an information management tool to users. The Individual understands that Medli provides access to the Individual’s account and any information that the Individual has entered into Medli, and that the Individual is solely responsible for any sharing of Medli content that the Individual intentionally or unintentionally communicates to others, including to and through any of the Individual’s authorised Invitee(s).
- Medli Health Limited seeks to obtain anonymised healthcare information of patients from national healthcare data providers such as NHS Digital, and aims to share useful insights derived from this information with the Individual.
- If the Individual appoints an Invitee through the Medli app, the Individual understands that the Invitee will be able to access whichever sections of the Individual’s account that the Individual has approved, as well as any additional functions available to the Invitee’s role. In addition, the Invitee may take action on behalf of an Individual via the Medli app. If the Individual chooses an Invitee, it is the Individual’s responsibility to choose an appropriate Invitee and Medli Health Limited is not responsible for actions taken by the Invitee. If the Individual no longer wishes for their appointed Invitee to have access to the Individual’s Medli account, the Individual is responsible for revoking the Invitee’s access through the Medli app.
- The Individual can discontinue use of Medli at any time by contacting Medli Health Limited.
- The Individual agrees that they will not post or send any harassing or offensive material in the Medli app.
- Medli Health Limited accepts no responsibility for any harassing or offensive material that the Individual posts in the Medli app or sends through them. More generally, any views expressed by the Individual through the Medli app should not be treated as the views of Medli Health Limited or The Brain Tumour Charity, or views that Medli Health Limited or The Brain Tumour Charity would endorse.
- Medli Health Limited reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to suspend or discontinue the Individual’s use of Medli and to discontinue the general use of Medli itself. The Individual will be notified if Medli is discontinued.
- Medli Health Limited grants a limited, revocable licence to the Individual to make use only of Medli and the associated services in accordance with these terms and conditions of use. This licence expressly excludes, without limitation, any reproduction, duplication, sale, resale or other commercial use of Medli and the associated services or making any derivative of Medli or the associated services without the express agreement of Medli Health Limited.
- The Medli app contains links to websites operated by other parties. The links are provided for the Individual’s convenience only. Medli Health Limited does not control such websites and Medli Health Limited is not responsible for the content and performance of these sites. The inclusion of links to other websites does not imply any endorsement of the material on the websites or any association with their operators. Medli Health Limited does not operate, control, or endorse any information, products, or services provided by third parties through the Internet. Use of other sites is strictly at the Individual’s own risk, including, but not limited to, any risks associated with destructive viruses. The Individual is responsible for viewing and abiding by the terms and conditions of use and the privacy statements of the other websites.
- The Medli app and the websites hosted by Medli Health Limited and the content contained on them are provided by Medli Health Limited on an “As Is” basis. Medli Health Limited makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of its apps or websites, or the content, products and/or services they include. To the fullest extent permissible by applicable law, Medli Health Limited disclaims all warranties, express, or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, and/or infringement.
- Some of the material in the Medli app is provided by third parties and Medli Health Limited shall not be held responsible for any such third-party material. Medli Health Limited disclaims any responsibility for liability related to such third-party material and the Individual’s use of such third-party material. Any questions complaints or claims related to any product should be directed to the appropriate third party.
- The GMCSI has granted a licence to Medli Health Limited to use the LRMP Product as part of Medli but is not otherwise endorsing Medli.
- Inclusion of the LRMP Product information in Medli does not imply that the medical practitioners included in this list are registered to practise medicine in the UK.
- Medli Health Limited will not be liable for any loss, whether such loss is direct, indirect, special or consequential, suffered by any party as a result of their use of the Medli app, its content and functionality.
- The Medli app is a work-in-progress, and as such has not been fully peer-reviewed. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the information presented through the Medli app is accurate, Medli Health Limited is providing this information without any implied warranty or fitness for purpose or use.
- Medli’s insights and tools are a work-in-progress, and as such have not been fully peer-reviewed. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the information presented through the insights and tools is accurate, Medli Health Limited is providing this information without any implied warranty or fitness for purpose or use.
- In the Insights section of the Medli app, any attribution that the Individual makes between a side effect and medication or treatment represents the Individual’s view and not the view of Medli Health Limited or The Brain Tumour Charity.
- The Individual agrees that any patient reported information that they provide to Medli through the Medli app could be shared by Medli Health Limited in an anonymised form with researchers should Medli Health Limited consider that this information could be used in valuable healthcare research. Medli Health Limited’s Data Access Board would have to approve all sharing of such data.
- In line with the principles defined in the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Medli Health Limited will ensure that personal data in Medli will be processed in ways that are: (i) Lawful, fair and transparent; (ii) Collected for specific explicit and legitimate purposes; (iii) Adequate, (iv) Relevant and limited; (v) accurate and up-to-date; (vi) not kept for longer than necessary and (vii) secure.
- Medli Health Limited reserves the right to carry out periodic maintenance and updates to the Medli app. When making these changes, every effort will be taken to minimise the disruption to Medli users that this may cause.
Version 1.0 – October 2022